Wednesday, May 27, 2020

The Real Work Starts Again

Now that the lockdown is loosening a little, I've finally been able to get back to work on Moonshine. And there really is a tonne of work to do!


This is one of the more serious issues on the boat. All of the chain plates (the fittings that the wires supporting the mast connect to) are full of water, the wood is rotten and one of the bolts broke off in my hand. One of my priorities is to get these fixed, and do it in a way that makes them far stronger than they were before. I've got something unusual planned, stay tuned...

After stripping out the interior of the boat, this is what I was left with. The hull-deck joint was held together with self tapping screws, filler and prayers; and was broken in three places. I used polyester filler to create a small radius on the inside of the joint and then laminated over it with 1800g of woven glass fibre.

After glassing the hull-deck joint I started reinforcing everything. I've added ribs every couple of feet to support the joint and stiffen the hull. I've also added cross beams to support the deck under the mast base and under the tack point for the storm jib.


All of this is horribly dusty work!! I can't wait until I can move on to working on the outside of the boat!


No comments:

Post a Comment