Wednesday, May 13, 2020

I got distracted...

When I was around fifteen or sixteen, I was massively into board surfing. I was making my own boards, and even managed to sell a few to make a bit of pocket money. At one stage I shaped a board, but then I think I ran out of glassing materials and got distracted by school and kayaking and whatever else was going on at the time. Whatever the reason was, the shaped foam blank got wrapped up in plastic, stored in my parent's attic and completely forgotten about for the intervening ten years or so. I haven't even thought about making another board since then, I blame kayaking for becoming all-consuming for a long time...

As of last week though, I had endless amounts of free time and a whole pile of glassing materials just waiting for the day I can restart work on Moonshine. It looks like my old blank is going to get it's day in the sunshine after all! The board is a 6'1 x 21'' x 2 3/4'' fish. The template is retro but the rocker, fins and bottom contours are more modern. I'm pretty happy with how it turned out, even if I wasn't expecting the red and black resin swirl on the bottom to end up looking this brown! There are some spots where the resin bled under the tape on the laps but I decided to call it character instead of hiding it with a pin line.





Not too bad, eh?! I REALLY can't wait to get out on the water and find out how she goes!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment