Wednesday, May 13, 2020

COVID Made Me Do It

I am aware that this is like sticking a big exhaust on a 1990s Nissan Micra and expecting it to look cool...

Genoa, complete with bright green crescent moon, Some might say it looks suspiciously like the moon on the Turkish flag but I promise the proportions are different!

Mainsail, complete with a visibility patch so bright that my phone camera couldn't handle it! "I didn't see you" is definitely not going to be a valid excuse for a collision with Moonshine! Especially not when you see what I plan to do to the rest of the boat...

Storm jibs are meant to be bright, right?! This one started life white, which was never going to do. My plan is to run this as a staysail on a removable baby stay. It should add a little bit of power when reaching in light airs, reduce weather helm slightly, and look positively vomit inducing in between Moonshine's other black and green sails. 

I know it won't be to everyone's taste, but all the fast boats have black sails, and white is so boring. And I had a hell of a lot of time on my hands! I'm actually quite a big fan of how it's turned out. The photos don't nearly do the results justice, those colours are BRIGHT!!

The paints and processes used for painting the sails of high end racing boats seems to be one of the internet's best kept secrets. I did some research and didn't find anything particularly useful. So I've used ordinary artists acrylic paints thinned to a more useful consistency with water. We'll see how they hold up, fingers crossed it doesn't just turn into a layer of black dust all over the decks mid way through the first tack...

No comments:

Post a Comment