Wednesday, January 25, 2012

GalwayFest 2012

Last weekend the NUIG crew, led by Barry Loughnane and Andrew Regan, ran a savage event on their local spots, Tuam hole and the Boluisce. Unfortunatly I missed the freestyle since I just got back from Wales the day before but by all accounts it was a great competition, despite relativly low water levels.

The whitewater the next day was a great event, with nearly 70 people paddling! It was really well run, with timing and rescue and the rest of it all set up perfectly. I had never run the Boluisce before so the first thing I did when I got there was head off for a quick blast with Dave Holden and Laura Griffin. Its a sweet river, with a few nice technical rapids on it. The last feature, the hole at Poll Gorm, is class since its possible to do a really sweet flare move off the right hand bank and go straight over the hole.



The race went really well, I got through everything pretty cleanly and ended up with the joint 4th fastest time with Paddy McGovern. The top 6 paddlers went through to a boatercross style final which started with everyone sitting backwards on their boats and then turning around and jumping in when it was time to go. I screwed up the start which left me in 6th place for a good part of the race but in the end I managed to make up two places and finished in 4th. Afterwards we all headed up to one of the pubs in the village for the results and some banter. The soup, sandwiches, sausages and wedges just kept on coming fair play to whoever organised it!

Thanks to Ultan O'Byrne and Shane Cronin of Wavesport Ireland for the photos.

The next event thats coming up is the Wacko on the Jacko, a boatercross on the Avonmore in Wicklow. Its not exactly a spectacular river and the entry fee is ridiculus at €40 per head so we'll have to see how the funds are looking coming up to it to see if I'll be there or not

No comments:

Post a Comment