Thursday, October 7, 2010

Scout Liffey Descent

Photobucket

Last weekend saw the scout liffey descent up in Dublin, which we were hoping to win overall for the third year running. And since I won my class last year I was hoping to defend that title too.

Photobucket


When we got to the race start at Lucan the water level was low enough but thanks to the ESB by the time the race started there was a good flow on the river. The plastic class was up first and our scouts all got off to a good start, some of them were the first few boats over Lucan weir.

Photobucket

After the carnage from the plastic boats was cleared it was time for us to get going. I made it to Lucan first of the bunch and got a clean line down it. I stayed in front for the next few kilometers and got clean, fast lines over all the other weirs too and almost from the start it was obvious it was going to be a two horse race between me and the guy that I had just beaten to the finish last year. He was determined to win it out this year and stuck with me for the whole race, just beating me to the line at the final sprint at the end. Sicked to come in second after all that work but what can you do! Thankfully most of the scouts went one better and won their individual classes, bringing home the overall trophy for three in a row!

Photobucket

This was the first time out with a savage bit of kit I just got from the guys at http://www.h2oaudio.com/ Its a waterproof case and earphones for an mp3 player/ ipod or whatever and its the job!! Its brilliant being able to listen to music on the water for those long distance races, and it should be good for between heats at the Irish Open next weekend too when a normal mp3 would just get wet or destroyed with salt and sand.
Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment